This is the fifth year I'm making a list of books I *must* read in the coming year. While that must becomes softer each year, I'm still going to do my best to get through these this year. The theme of this year (if there was one) would be things-I-can't-seem-to-start-or-finish. Fittingly, about half of the list will be books I did not complete last year.
The 2012 Reading List:
1. Within a Budding Grove-I have spent the last three years not making time for this second volume. So this year it goes at the top where I can't so easily forget about it.
2. 2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America-Dystopian choice for this year.
3. Corrections-Just as this one sat on my shelf for years, I'm now having a hard time finishing it. While I've enjoyed parts of it, the writing and the plot give me anxiety.
4. Razor's Edge-Been looking at this one on the shelf since 2006.
5. Complete Shorter Fiction of Virginia Woolf-Was about halfway through this book somewhere back in 2008 but never finished.
6. Adventures of Sherlock Holmes-Reading the first 12 stories. Finished the first 4 last year.
7. Man's Search for Meaning-I've started this book at least 3 times. I never get halfway. But I do always lose my place and never know where I left off. Not that it matters. It's rough, rough subject matter (almost nothing is harder for me to read than things related to the Holocaust) but it's one of those I know I have to read at least once in my life.
8. Reasons to Live-Short stories from last year's list.
9. World War Z-For the obligatory October read.
10. Member of the Wedding-It's still about time I read something by McCullers.
11. Castle Rackrent-A classic read. Short and returning from last year's list.
12. Laws of Simplicity-Small nonfiction book I picked up on a trip and I often wonder why I haven't actually sat down and read it by now.
So, this year is about wrapping up loose ends, bookwise.